Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Relationship between the Voice and the Root Chakra

Root Chakra Symbol
One thing I have discovered in my current dedication to developing and freeing my voice, is the importance of feeling supported. And feeling safe. And feeling grounded and stable. All Root Chakra qualities.

(Root Chakra is the energy centre that lies at the base of the spine and connects us with our primal and animal energy. The Sanskrit name is Muladhara -- Mula meaning Root or source. Dhara meaning support, vital part. This energy centre relates to our physical and material consciousness. It is the first center to develop and open when we are infants and it is that initial experience of the infant which largely determines if the world feels like a safe place where we can count on being supported. If the infant immediately experiences that sense of safety and support, then that Root Chakra will be strong and vibrant and we will trust our instincts. If, as infants, we are not supported and needs are not met in the way that we need them to be, the Root Chakra will not be  as strong and vibrant and we may move into our adult years still feeling like we can't get what we need and that our experience of the world is not so safe.This, of course, can lead to self-esteem issues, fear of standing our ground and feeling not deserving. This, in turn can make it more challenging to "voice" our needs and desires. The ability to speak one's truth is pretty connected to how safe and supported we feel.The ability to sing can also be very connected to how safe and supported we feel.)

Recently I have been thinking a lot about those times when my voice feels free and strong and flows from the depths of my Heart and Soul. And I've been thinking a lot about those times when my voice literally "goes into hiding" despite all of my hours of dedicated vocal practice.

Safe Haven
When I am in a situation that feels safe, or if I can create a safe space or container for myself, then I feel my voice flowing from my Heart and Soul. If I am in a situation that doesn't feel comfortable or that triggers some old  childhood insecurities or fears, my voice retreats into what feels to me like "a dead zone". I don't actually know where it (my voice) is at that point. I only know that to speak from that place takes huge effort and to speak with any kind of expressiveness in my voice requires a real "push" that does not feel authentic.


So I believe that if there are vocal issues present, one might have to dive a little deeper to find and heal the "Roots" of the vocal issue. It might not be directly related to the Throat Chakra or to the Vocal Cords (although we would certainly want to also be supporting and developing the vocal cords and the Throat
Chakra in whatever way we can.)

At a workshop I offered on Jan. 28 based on an Introduction to the Chakras and Vocal Expression, I began the workshop with a little reflection and writing exercise. I offered the question of "What and who supports you in your current life's journey?" I made the suggestion that we consider not only those obvious supports, like friends, family, partner, healers etc. but that we also reflect on the not so obvious supports that are all around us. An example I gave is "My breath supports me and my life. Which means that AIR supports me. And that means that the EARTH'S ATMOSPHERE supports me. And (despite all we have done to her) MOTHER EARTH herself continues to offer me support in terms of giving me good Organic food and offering me the soothing and healing powers of nature." Etc.!!! There truly is so much support for our lives here on this planet, and in the midst of all of the current crisis that are happening around us, we can sometimes forget to honor all that supports us. It is easy to fall into those old feelings of abandonment and insecurity. I think making ourselves a Support List can help us remember and honor all that supports us and can help us shift into that more positive space of knowing and feeling that we are safe and supported. In the workshop, those who felt inspired to were encouraged to share some of what supports them. Sharing is nice way to affirm and honor, out loud, what feels supportive to us and it is a nice way to "feed each other" in terms of realizing that there may be many more supports that we hadn't even thought about.

I believe it can be really helpful to spend some time once in a while reflecting on, and offering gratitude, for all of those things and people and beings that do support us.

The more supported and safer we feel in our own being, the more the Voice can flow freely from the depths of our Heart and Soul. Speaking or singing from that authentic place inside ourselves requires trust. And trust comes from feeling safe and supported.

So I encourage you to consider that question
                         "What and who supports you on your current life journey?"


I would love to hear any thoughts you might have either as a comment or as an e-mail barbarassong@gmail.com

And a reminder to "Sing your own special song in your own special way"


Barbara

1 comment:

  1. An e-mailed Comment from my friend Andrea at Grey Heron.

    Hi Barbara, I tried to post a comment on your blog but don't have the proper link to a user-name, etc., so it vanished.

    What I did appreciate was the focus you placed on the essential link between root and voice, something that has become very frayed and crimped through cultural neglect, shaming (self-inflicted and external criticism internalized), so we have lost connection to the deep source of earth-power with our voice. Your writing about this brings a really critical element into view. I resonate, partly because of my work with EarthSong Mysteries, and also the sound circles I host here at Grey Heron where I invite people to move and sound at the same time. Sustaining a dual focus on movement while sounding is initially challenging, but oh, so empowering and liberating, energizing and expansive when we persist in this vital 're-membering'. Blessings on you and your wonderful work, Andrea

    ReplyDelete